I’m 6′, or darn close. No surprise… not a secret. There are great things about being tall. My height always ends up as a topic of conversation, so let’s address it. Much like being short there are some spectacular points as well as some others that cause severe loathing… On the bright side, it’s much harder to tell if I’ve gained weight, I’ve got LONG legs, height was on my side for sports, and I never have a problem reaching the plates on the top shelf. BUT being tall has it’s downsides… and implying that I’m wrong is one way to get me wound up in a flash. Try these on for size you positive Polly’s:
1. Pants. Try buying some when you have a 36″ inseam. Not only is it intensely frustrating, but expensive. That’s just jeans and dress pants. If I want pj pants its going to be special order. Jealous? Or I could just buy the size 18 and have them taken in because according to the apparel industry, wide also equals tall.
2. Heels. I love them, but when I’m a good 6″ taller than everyone around me I don’t feel attractive, I don’t feel girly, I just feel like a BEAST. And, nothing you say will change that. When you wear heels and reach a towering 5′ 9″ it is not the same thing. Just doesn’t compare.
3. Awkwardness. It just comes with territory, or at least for me. You’ve got all these extra inches of limbs just waiting to flail, bang into something, throw your center of gravity off and steer you into the wall in front of large groups of people. Also quite prone to falling, tripping, stumbling, and tumbling down stairs.
4. Beds. They just aren’t long enough. Ever been to Europe? You’d swear it was a continent of midgets. My legs hung off from mid calf down in just about every bed I slept in. Talk about comfort, I’ve never been so comfortable in my whole life. Not.
5. Basketball. “Did you play basketball?”. For the 100th time. No. Stop asking.
6. Planes… well transportation really. Leg room is abysmal in most every form of transportation.I had a friend mention that she loves car trips because there’s room to move around. I had to pause… is there room in cars? I feel squished, cramped and uncomfortable. But, then again if your 5′ 4″ you’ve got all the space in the world. In my car, the seat is all the way back and my knees still hit the steering wheel. It’s a great time. Really, you should try it.
7. Dancing. Back to awkward… limbs flailing, awkward movements… When people suggest a dance competition I counter with how about a “sway” competition. I’ve got swaying down, pat.
8. Being Asked. When someone finds out how tall I am, their jaw seriously drops and they are like, “REALLY!?!”. Saying the actual numbers adds to the overall effect. It’s not a freak show, move along people.
9. Stares. I once wore heels out and received stare after stare after stare. The only comment I received all night was, “Wow, you must be one confident woman”. Um… in comparison to you smerf, yes I am. Thankyouverymuch.
10. Photos. I’m either in the back or bent into some contorted position. Attractive? Yes.
So, for the 100th time. Being tall is great but it also has its moments… Enough already.